Tuesday, October 12, 2010

planning.

 lots of preparation goes into running a marathon.

it started with
 the base-building period...
when i tried to figure out which training plan to use,
and built up my weekly miles.

the training itself...
18 weeks long.
the planning of routes to use for training runs
and where i would get water on those routes.
planning what to wear
 and what to bring with me
on each run,
 & what i'd need for fueling/hydration.
through all this planning i learned
what worked & what didn't.
this is especially important for long runs.
this is when i tried out how things would work
for marathon day.
the 20+ milers are the absolute test,
they are the runs that closely mimic the marathon,
in terms of time on feet and fueling/hydrating.

and let's not forget,
my favorite part of the preparation...
(thank you, Type A personality)
 all the planning/contemplating over my run stats.
should i change the next workout?
what pace should i run it at?
is this pace possible based on what i did last week?
i love to analyze everything.

as the race gets closer
(26 days)
and training is winding down,
(this is my last week of high mileage)
and my 3 week taper starts...
(next week)
planning the race has become my focus.
thinking about pacing strategies...
trying to figure out what my marathon pace will be...
do i go out fast?
do i go out slow?
wait to see how i feel?
do i run with a pace group? or not?
what are my goals?
are my goals attainable?
and what am i going to wear on marathon day?
which shoes?
i have to make sure everything feels right,
and i don't chafe.
and that i look cute :)

and you know what???
I LOVE ALL THE PLANNING.
love getting my ducks in a row.

source

"The body does not want you to do this.
As you run, it tells you to stop but the mind must be strong.
 You always go too far for your body.
You must handle the pain with strategy...It is not age; it is not diet.
It is the will to succeed. "


Jacqueline Gareau, 1980 Boston Marathon champ 

No comments: