Sunday, October 17, 2010

the hay is in the barn

so the saying goes..."the hay is in the barn", meaning that the meat & potatoes of my training is over. there really isn't anything more i can do...just rest and keep reminding my body how it feels to run.

i will still be running, but with a decrease in miles.  this will give my body a chance to rest and repair itself and be refreshed for race day.

my run today was amazing. it felt so good. my last & longest run of this training cycle, 22 miles.  my intent was to take this run super slow. and just really concentrate on my endurance and maximize time on my feet.  i was shooting to keep my pace about 10 minutes.  well, i didn't succeed.  i ended up running a little faster.  i really tried to keep it slow, especially the first half.  i'd catch myself speeding up and would slow it back down.  wanted to keep my heartrate super low.

i wanted to use this run to actually run the marathon course as closely as i could.  so i planned that i would just drive over to woodward park and leave my car there. i ran to old towne clovis and back, following the marthon route and then took the eaton trail all the way to the end and back, added in a couple extra miles around the park and that was it.  i got my second wind about mile 15, and wanted to fly, but didn't. i restrained myself.  but my legs felt strong and my spirits were great.  i took all four of my gels (two chocolate, 1 espresso, and a jet blackberry), and 4 salt tabs.  i ended up taking the salt tabs when i gu'd. covered in salt by the end and super happy.

here's the stats:

22.17 mi/ 3:31:25/ avgHR 152/ avg pace 9:32
9:41
9:49
9:45
9:37
9:33
9:31
9:34
9:43
9:46
9:47
9:05
9:32
9:18
9:27
9:39
9:13
9:32
9:35
9:33
9:23
9:27
9:24
1:31(9:08)

i am beyond excited!!! 20 more days :)
garmin says i burned 2600 calories, so i'm gonna go have a celebratory lunch full of carbs :)

No comments: