Thursday, November 04, 2010

just what i needed to hear...

Be Strong and Courageous
Thursday, November 4th, 2010

READY:

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
-Joshua 1:9 (NIV)

SET:
The Israelites had just lost their leader Moses. It had fallen to his second-in-command to take over. Joshua had led before, but never had he been THE man. And on top of that, he was replacing a legendary figure. The expectations would be enormous. Joshua had to have been terrified.

Sometimes we find ourselves in over our heads. Fresh out of seminary, I applied for my first campus ministry position expecting to be an associate campus minister. Well into the interviewing process, I was informed that I had been misinformed. If I were hired, I would be THE campus minister. With no real experience and no other offers looming, I accepted the position. I was terrified. Yet, I remained in that position for over 20 years.
Four years ago, I was called to a new ministry in a place where I knew no one and had the challenge of taking over a ministry struggling to survive financially. On top of that, during the first semester nearly 200 students became involved. Being the lone staff, I was overwhelmed.

What I discovered in both situations is what Joshua discovered--God goes with us wherever we go. He does not abandon us, and He helps us to overcome the challenges that confront us. With the Almighty God with us, we have every reason to be strong and courageous.

Today, whatever challenges you may be facing or that are looming just over the horizon, do not be afraid. The Lord will remain by your side.



This was in my mailbox this morning...love how god reassures me :)

so my sore throat is gone and my breathing is better, but i've been sneezing and i'm a little stuffed up. i was supposed to have my last run this morning, but i was pretty much up all last night sneezing. i thought it best to stay in bed and rest.  maybe i'll do a couple miles tmr, maybe.

hoping this cold passes quickly.  gonna rest today.

all the kids are back at school and are on the mend.

the next three days are gonna be full of rest, water, and carbs :)

No comments: