Saturday, April 16, 2005

a journey

"How one lives as a private person is intimately bound into the work. At some point I believe one has to stop holding back for fear of alienating some imaginary reader or relative or friend, and come out with personal truth. If we are to understand the human condition, and if we accept ourselves in all the complexity, self-doubt, extravagance, of feeling guilt, joy, the slow freeing of self to its full capacity for action and creation both as a human being and an artist, we have to know all we can about each other and we have to be willing to go naked." -May Sarton
I found this quote through another blog I read and it just spoke to me. This is basically why I started this journal, to try to free myself to feel what I feel, to become more real. To try to understand the real me. Who am I? Throughout my life, I have always tried to please people, whether it be my parents, my teachers, or my friends. I feel like I am always trying to do and say what I think other people would like to hear, I feel like I hold things back. I know it will take some time and work to change this habit, but it is something that I really would like to work on, and I think through this journal I will be able to make some headway. So don't be surprised if you learn a few new things about me, because I know that I will learn some things as well. I am on a journey of self-discovery!

No comments: